To provide employees and contractors with a set of environmental standards.
All employees and contractors.
MyMESS PTY. LTD. acknowledges the importance of protecting environmental values, and recognising obligations, both locally and globally, to present and succeeding generations.
Through its planning and practice, MyMESS PTY. LTD. is committed to bringing about improved environmental practices, and a greater awareness and understanding of environmental sustainability.
MyMESS PTY. LTD. defines the principles of environmental sustainability as encompassing the following:
- Facilitate and enhance the decision-making process, by seeking opinions, feedback and participation, from MyMESS PTY. LTD. stakeholders on environmental management issues for MyMESS PTY. LTD. campuses, remote and field sites.
- Promote and encourage environmental awareness and responsibility, among all members of MyMESS PTY. LTD. community.
- Strive for continuous improvement of environmental performance, by identifying and addressing environmental risk.
- Decision-making processes to effectively integrate both long-term and short-term economic, environmental, social, and equity considerations.
MyMESS PTY. LTD. approach is structured around three levels of planning and practice, which comprise our overall environmental management policy. These levels are:
This is the ‘due diligence’ level, and at this level MyMESS PTY. LTD. makes sure that it complies with all environmental legislation, and reduces long term costs. The principles of due diligence, according the relevant Government Environmental Protection Agency are set out within the ACT.
This is the ‘beyond compliance’ level, where MyMESS PTY. LTD. starts to ensure that MyMESS PTY. LTD. is employing its corporate capacity, to improve environmental performance well beyond compliance with law. At this level MyMESS PTY. LTD. would introduce initiatives which involve:
- Long term design and maintenance of assets;
- Procurement of goods and services;
- Use of energy and equipment including vehicles.
This is the ‘beyond MyMESS PTY. LTD. level where MyMESS PTY. LTD. develops for and with our clients, our community, our research partners and others, and the knowledge about improving environmental outcomes for our local and broader communities.
Principles of Due Diligence for Environmental Management Acting
Systems used to implement a due diligence program, will help assist the industry comply with all environmental legislation, reduce long-term costs and improve the industry’s public image.
There are seven principles of due diligence:
- Development of a pollution prevention system;
- Establishment of a pollution prevention system;
- Operation of a pollution prevention system;
- People with the ultimate responsibility receive reports;
- People with the ultimate responsibility know the environmental standards;
- People with the ultimate responsibility know the environmental laws;
- People with the ultimate responsibility deal personally with system failures.
It is proposed to use ‘rethink, reduce, reuse, repair, re-educate and recycle’ as the basis for MyMESS PTY. LTD. deployment of the three levels of the environmental management policy. Oversight of the three levels will be undertaken by the Finance and Facilities Committee. Management of each level will be undertaken by an appointed officer. The Executive Director will appoint officers in the appropriate manner.
Each level coordinator will engage a network of key staff, to support the implementation of initiatives. The coordinator for Level One, will liaise with the MyMESS PTY. LTD. officer appointed to manage issues associated with workplace health and safety, to ensure appropriate coordination between environmental protection and safety, and workplace health and safety. The level coordinator, in conjunction with the network, will propose a set of actions and initiatives for each year. These initiatives and actions will aim to contribute to achieving the following objectives:
- Minimise, or eliminate, our negative environmental impacts and use of resources; work closely with our staff, unions, clients, suppliers and other interested parties to continually improve our work practices and operations, by setting environmental objectives and targets in accordance with best-practice standards;
- Incorporate best-practice environmental management into our core business plans and management practices, including the preparation, fit out, and ongoing operation of new accommodation;
- Regularly monitor and report on our environmental performance;
- Actively promote and encourage the adoption of ecologically sustainable work practices; and
- Operations within the University and the general community;
The consolidated list of actions will be approved by the Executive Director, as part of the MyMESS PTY. LTD. annual planning cycle, and the agreed items will be included in the section’s strategic plan and annual operational plan as required. The Executive Director will provide the Finance and Facilities Committee, with a list of agreed actions for each year for each level of this policy, and this consolidated set of actions will be referred to as MyMESS PTY. LTD. Environmental Management Plan. It is anticipated that the first plan will be prepared for 2020 and will relate to Level One only. MyMESS PTY. LTD. will have a Level One plan in place for each year thereafter, and it is expected that this plan will outline how MyMESS PTY. LTD. goes about meeting its statutory obligations, in relation to environmental management and compliance. Levels Two and Three will be implemented from 2022 onwards, and are designed to set out discretionary action undertaken by MyMESS PTY. LTD., to enhance its contribution to the principles set out under the PRINCIPLES heading of this policy.
MyMESS PTY. LTD. is committed to ensuring the protection of the environment, by keeping environmental impacts to a minimum in a sustainable, financially rewarding, and technically feasible manner. Prior to preparing the actions proposed for each year, each MyMESS PTY. LTD. Coordinator will prepare a progress report for the Executive Director, and this will set out the results achieved to date. The Executive Director will consolidate this information for review by the Finance & Facilities Committee. In particular, the Level One report will record any non-compliance which has occurred during the year, and the action which has been taken to remedy the non-compliance.
Subject to the development of action plans for Levels Two and Three, it is expected that MyMESS PTY. LTD. will seek to establish an environmental performance report, which sets out available information about emissions and wastes, as well as initiatives to change the culture of MyMESS PTY. LTD. to more effectively support the environment through the interrelated concepts of ‘rethink, reduce, repair, re-educate and recycle’. MyMESS PTY. LTD. will aim to produce an environmental performance report from 2024 onwards.